At BetterUp, we give people the coaching, support, and push they need to reach peak performance and unlock their limitless potential, in all they do, personally and professionally. We work with world-class experts and Coaches, pioneer innovative technology, and foster human touch at scale to fuel the BetterUp experience, and make growth and development achievable for all. We believe that practicing strong mental fitness is a never-ending practice of maintaining and building the strengths that precede health, happiness, and success.
And we’re looking to build out a diverse and ambitious team of go-getters to join us as we grow. Exciting opportunities lie ahead, as well as work that makes a real difference — not only in the lives of others, but for your own personal and professional growth, too. Join us as we continue to bring BetterUp to more people everywhere, and create impactful change for our members and for you.
As a Data Engineer at BetterUp, you will be joining a small team responsible for the data systems that power everything from operational efficiency of the business, to personalized product experiences, to cutting-edge behavioral research and organizational analytics. You will be responsible for the end-to-end implementation of the data stack from collection to reporting, with a focus on infrastructure and technical processes. You will be directly responsible for working with stakeholders around the business to ensure their data needs are met, define data strategies, implement data systems, and help infuse data into transformational experiences. In general, you will be responsible for understanding problems intimately, crafting a technical strategy to address problems, and facilitating high-quality technical execution.
What you'll do:
- Data Unifier: Architect, assemble, assimilate, clean, and conform large, complex datasets to deliver business insights and power product experiences
- Data Advocate: Weave data into decision-making and drive cross-functional data-oriented approaches and solutions
- Data Protector: Design and build reliable, scalable data infrastructure with leading privacy and security techniques to safe guard data
- Data Builder: Own the end-to-end data stack including event collection, data governance, data integrations, and modeling
- Data Custodian: Ensure consistency and quality through metrics, documentation, processes, data testing, and training
If you have some or all of the following, please apply:
- 10+ years relevant experience, at least part of which in a startup environment
- Experience with analytic databases (e.g. Snowflake)
- Advanced knowledge of SQL and experience with relational databases
- Hands-on experience developing data pipelines. We use (e.g. dbt, Airflow, Stitch Data / Singer specs)
- Hands-on experience with event streams and stream processing (e.g. Kafka, Spark, Data Bricks, Segment)
- Decoupling transactional or source systems from business intelligence reporting (e.g. dimensional modeling)
- Experience with creating high-quality, fast services and projects in Python
- Experience with modern business intelligence and product reporting tools (e.g. Mode, Looker, Periscope)
At BetterUp, we are committed to living out our mission every day and that starts with providing benefits that allow our employees to care for themselves, support their families, and give back to their community.
- Access to BetterUp coaching; one for you and one for a friend or family member
- A competitive compensation plan with opportunity for advancement
- Medical, dental and vision insurance
- Flexible paid time off
- Per year:
- All federal/statutory holidays observed
- 4 BetterUp Inner Work days (https://www.betterup.co/inner-work)
- 5 Volunteer Days to give back
- Learning and Development stipend
- Holiday charitable contribution of your choice on behalf of BetterUp
- 401(k) self contribution
We are dedicated to building diverse teams that fuel an authentic workplace and sense of belonging for each and every employee. We know applying for a job can be intimidating, please don’t hesitate to reach out — we encourage everyone interested in joining us to apply.
BetterUp Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetics, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, BetterUp Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.