Data Engineer | Acorns
Acorns is how everyday consumers can save & invest for the long term. By putting tools of responsible wealthmaking in everyone’s hands, Acorns has become the largest subscription service in U.S. consumer finance, serving millions of everyday Americans subscribers. Customers get automated investing in diversified portfolios, built with help from experts like Nobel Laureate economist, Dr. Harry Markowitz. Acorns easy retirement account allows customers to invest for a better life later in minutes, no expertise required. To help everyone spend smarter, Acorns introduced banking that invests with every swipe, and cash-forward rewards. And, everyday Americans may invest in their kids and get money news they can use, all from the same app. Customers have invested billions with Acorns, much of it in spare change. From acorns, mighty oaks do grow!
Acorns is actively seeking a highly-motivated, detail-oriented, and driven Data Engineer. This position will reside in Data Engineering, which serves as the central data platform team for the company. The Data Engineering team is responsible for delivering a world class scalable and secure data platform that serves millions of up-and-coming Acorns customers by leveraging best in class tools and frameworks like Databricks and Flink. We process Petabytes of app interactions and complex financial data daily. In this role you will be a vital component to the success of our Engineering, Analytics, and Data Science teams. This is a full-time, direct hire position, working regular hours.
This role has the option to be remote or based in our Irvine or New York offices.
You are not expected to have experience with all listed requirements. If you feel passionately about Acorns' mission, vision and values, please apply.
Within 1 month, you will:
- Interface with various parts of business, Products, Project Management, and Leadership.
- Be familiarized with toolsets and environments, given proper access to execute tasks.
- Understand data landscape and data flow and processes.
- Fix or enhance production data pipelines.
Within 3 months, you will:
- Work with the engineering leadership team to align, establish and promote engineering-wide priorities, including new features, infrastructure, and tool building.
- Optimize performance of business-critical data processes and identify and resolve data process issues.
- Develop new data pipelines for ingesting, integrating various heterogeneous data sources.
- Design and develop data pipelines to support reliable, timely and accurate computation of business metrics in collaboration with Analytics.
- Assess level of effort on a project and deliver with internal and external teams.
- Propose and promote new ways to solve a problem to gain efficiency and to scale.
Within 6 months, you will:
- Contribute and execute on Acorns Data Roadmap.
- Author, propose and execute technical initiatives.
- Define career path opportunities for development.
What you will bring to Acorns:
- BA/BS from top-tier university
- 1+ years of Java/Scala/Python experience
- 3+ years of software engineering experience in an internet facing solution
- Object oriented fundamentals (OOA, OOD, OOP)
- Basic understanding of SQL and database/data warehouse design concepts
- Understand advanced algorithms, data structures and design patterns
- Thirst for delivering game-changing products
- Exceptional drive and precision in delivery
- A belief that your work is tied to your life's mission
- Optimistic about the potential of societal change
- Experience with Test Driven Development is a plus but not required
- Experience with AWS, Hadoop, Spark, and Kafka or Kinesis is a plus but not required
- Experience with Spark or Databricks is a plus but not required
- Experience with Airflow or Luigi is a plus but not required
- Experience using Data Quality tools such as Amazon Deequ or Great Expectations is a plus but not required
- Experience in Agile Methodology is a plus but not required
What we offer:
- Competitive salary and stock options
- A comprehensive benefits package to meet the needs of you and your family
- Flexible paid time off
- Numerous career possibilities that allow you to grow with Acorns
- Talented and motivated team members who care deeply about one another, our mission and our customers.
- The rare opportunity to create a new world. We inspire one another every day to do meaningful work that solves big societal challenges.
Acorns is the leading micro-investing app in the U.S. It allows users to round up their daily purchases and automatically Invest the Change® into a low-cost, diversified portfolio of exchange-traded funds offered by some of the world's top asset managers (including Vanguard and BlackRock). Founded in Newport Beach, Calif., by father and son team Walter and Jeff Cruttenden, Acorns provides a simple entry-point using the Acorns app on iPhone or Android. Customers accumulate fractional shares in one of five portfolios constructed by world-renowned Nobel Laureate economist Dr. Harry Markowitz. Acorns' smart portfolio algorithms automatically work in the background of life, helping users build wealth naturally, pennies at a time. From Acorns mighty oaks do grow.
With benevolence and courage, we look after the financial best interests of the up-and-coming; beginning with the empowering step of micro-investing.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion:
Acorns believes diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental obligations that strengthen our team. We need a diverse, multi-disciplinary team to build a meaningful company and culture.
- Lead with heart
- Make bold decisions
- Always build trust
- Never stop growing
- Find a way