Machine Learning Engineer
Machine Learning Engineer
PicnicHealth is all about making medical records easy to access and using data to power the next frontier of medical research. We work directly with patients to give them the only tool anywhere that truly provides all of their medical records from any doctor or healthcare system in the US—in an easy-to-use, secure online dashboard. Patients can then choose to contribute their unique data to scientific research, which helps researchers accelerate breakthroughs in care for the diseases they care about. To date we’ve helped tens of thousands of patients, partnered with some of the world’s largest biopharma companies, and raised more than $35M including from Felicis Ventures, Amplify Partners, and Y Combinator. Post Series B, we’re growing quickly in revenue, partnerships, and people - it’s an exciting time to join the PicnicHealth team!ML at Picnic Machine learning is at the heart of our work. While the healthcare industry is waiting for standards and APIs to take hold, we’re able to create meaningful medical data today through our process for extracting and structuring medical information from records in whatever format they exist in the real world. We ingest medical records (faxes, scans, etc of printouts from EHRs, electronic data from EHRs) and convert them into structured, labeled medical data. Think of what we do as a multi-stage, human-in-the-loop machine learning system. We 1) run OCR to transform the image into text, 2) identify and label regions of the record, and 3) classify medical concepts with codes from standard ontologies (SNOMED CT, LOINC, RxNorm, ICD, etc) and structure relevant attributes. Ultimately, structuring data is just the starting point. We’ll use machine learning to pull insights from medical data and surface the most relevant information to make better decisions around care. We’ve sourced and trained a scalable team of nurses in the Philippines to identify and label data and have already labeled records from more than 25,000 different doctors. We’re going through a crazy period of 20x growth this year, coming off our recent Grand Prize finish in Google Cloud’s Machine Learning Startup Competition. Learn more about our Engineering Team and values here. The Role As one of our first dedicated machine learning engineers, you’ll take ownership over our machine learning efforts. We need you to not only build out and deploy models, but also establish best practices, mentor team members, and bring expertise to how we think about machine learning. Responsibilities:
- Develop machine learning models to improve PicnicHealth’s product and processing efficiency
- Apply expert software development skills to build intelligent user experiences leveraging machine learning
- Own the machine learning pipeline — systems for training, versioning, deploying, and testing models
- Work with product, operations, and sales teams to help define use cases, and develop methodology and benchmarks to evaluate different machine learning approaches
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, related technical field or equivalent practical experience
- Experience with linear algebra, calculus and statistics
- Shipped code for 3+ years
- Leveraged machine learning in production environments
- An MS or PhD degree in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, or related technical field
- Exposure to industry or academic research
- Experience with Python, and Python machine learning tooling, including TensorFlow
- Exposure to Deep Learning, Gradient Boosting Machines, and other supervised classification methods
- Large data analysis and visualization experience
- Experience building web applications
- Desire to kick ass and save lives
Why join PicnicHealth?
At PicnicHealth you get to solve real problems with real solutions, great tech, and great people.
You also get:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive benefits including above market Health, Dental, Vision
- Family friendly
- Flexible time off
- 401k plan
- Free PicnicHealth account
- Equipment and internet funds for home office set up
Due to COVID-19, currently all roles are remote until at least until October 2021. Due to COVID-19, currently all roles are remote. As of October 2021, we will offer a hybrid set up: team members in the Bay Area will be able to work from the SF office on a flexible schedule; remote team members will be expected to travel to in-person meetings 4-6 times a year.
Equal Opportunity Statement
PicnicHealth is committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value a diverse and balanced team where everyone can belong.