About The Organization
ReFED is a national nonprofit working to end food loss and waste across the food system by advancing data-driven solutions to the problem. ReFED leverages data and insights to highlight supply chain inefficiencies and economic opportunities; mobilizes and connects supporters to take targeted action; and catalyzes capital to spur innovation and scale high-impact initiatives. Starting with the 2016 Roadmap to Reduce U.S. Food Waste, ReFED has developed a trusted history of producing first-of-their-kind tools and resources, providing a full-supply-chain picture of U.S. food waste, cost-effective solutions to reduce it, and methods to track progress. In February 2021, ReFED launched its new Roadmap to 2030 and Insights Engine, an online data center designed to serve as the next generation of data, insights, and guidance on U.S. food waste reduction. Solving this problem will have a significant impact on mitigating climate change, optimizing use of water, land, and other resources, and providing meals for the over 50 million people in the United States who currently face food insecurity.
ReFED is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome candidates from all backgrounds to apply and encourage candidates of diverse gender, race, religion, age, national origin, political affiliation, ancestry, sexual orientation, disability status, veteran status, and more to consider joining our team. We believe that everyone has a seat at the table, and that this table always has room for growth. The success of our organization is rooted in the visible and invisible qualities of our people. ReFED’s people embody a variety of views, perspectives, and backgrounds to push the envelope of what is possible and better meet the needs of the community in the hopes of building a better food system. Community is more than a word here.
ReFED's vision is a sustainable, resilient, and inclusive food system that optimizes environmental resources, minimizes climate impacts, and makes the best use of the food we grow. Learn more at www.refed.org.
About The Position
ReFED’s recently released Roadmap to 2030 and Insights Engine estimate that an annual investment of $14 billion over the next ten years can reduce food waste by 45 million tons each year. That investment would result in $73 billion in annual net financial benefit – a five-to-one return – and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 75 million metric tons, save 4 trillion gallons of water, and recover the equivalent of 4 billion meals for those in need. Over ten years, it would create 51,000 jobs.
ReFED’s Data & Insights team plays a critical role within the organization by collecting and engineering data into useful measurement that helps track and reduce food waste. This is done through research, software development, and creation of methods to generate the data required for our Insights Engine and other supporting applications.
The Analytics Engineer, working remotely and reporting to the VP of Data & Insights will be joining a team at an exciting new stage of development. ReFED’s Data & Insights team is generating plans to centralize infrastructure, increase sources of data, and enhance methods to demonstrably increase the value of the Insights Engine and new ReFED products.
This is an ideal opportunity for an individual with expertise in data analytics and engineering and a firm understanding of full stack development, to take a leadership position in generating the next generation of food waste insights.
You are a good fit if you:
- Are driven to tackle one of the biggest challenges facing society today and excited to positively impact food security, economic growth, and climate change.
- Are passionate about the role of data and analytics to spur action
- Have a deep passion for data’s ability to measure and help solve society’s greatest challenges
- Get excited about solving data problems even when data may be sparse and there are many unknowns
- Are able to jump between development and design and work nimbly to create data driven solutions
- Have broad experience with engineering and managing data for business applications
- Thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth organization.
You may have a mix of professional experience from roles such as:
- Data Engineer
- Analytics Engineer
- Data Scientist/Analyst
- Full Stack Developer
Develop scalable data pipelines
- Create and standardize data collection and storage methods adapted for ReFED's data environment
- Ensure SOPs and leverage industry best practices for data security and transfer protocols
- Process large datasets to make readily available for internal use
Manage and enhance data warehousing techniques
- Explore datasets and define logic for transformations
- Create database design and data model that supports changes to new data or models and supports scale
- Ability to analyze upstream and downstream effects of a change in existing data structures and planning for change management
- Optimize automation and speed of delivery for new data and methodology changes to ReFED’s Insights Engine
- Architect solution design for new products
- Work with vendors and 3rd parties to optimize our contracted and in house services. Approve design principles for contracted services.
- Rationalize infrastructure, storage, and vendors for cost reduction and minimization of data replication / transfer
- 5+ years of demonstrated experience in data warehousing, data science, and / or full stack development
- Experience with Big Query
- Expert level SQL
- Expert level knowledge of programming languages (Python, SQL) for creation of ETL / ELT and automation of data pipelines
- Experience with cloud-based data warehouses and SQL dialects (i.e. Snowflake), and understanding of implementation in a distributed environment
- A keen eye for understanding cost benefit and business impact when determining path to solutions
- Demonstrated aptitude for analyzing and interpreting data and synthesizing complex information from multiple sources
- Experience managing and using source control tools like Github or Bitbucket
- Experience working with analytical tools (i.e. Excel) and business Intelligence tools (i.e. Tableau, Metabase, Lookr)
- Ability to work in an agile product development environment
- Effective professional written and verbal communications skills
- Experience developing and deploying APIs
- Comfort with ambiguity and ability to thrive in a fluid, entrepreneurial environment, and willingness to “roll up the sleeves” and extend beyond formal responsibilities as needed for the work
- Proficiency with G Suite, MS Office Suite, Slack, and database management (including Salesforce) with a willingness and ability to learn new systems and tools
Diversity, Equity, And Inclusion
ReFED is an equal opportunity employer. It believes that everyone has a seat at the table, and that this table always has room for growth. The success of the organization is rooted in the visible and invisible qualities of its people. Its people embody a variety of views, perspectives, and backgrounds to push the envelope of what is possible and better meet the needs of the community in the hopes of building a sustainable, resilient, and inclusive food system. Community is more than a word here. As stewards of this food system that benefits from the inclusion and enhancement of diverse voices, ReFED recognizes that systemic barriers limit opportunities for certain groups which contributes to ongoing disparities. Furthermore, it accepts that its commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) means a commitment to constant learning, listening, and interaction in all aspects of its work. Intrinsically, ReFED is an organization that seeks to attract exceptional and dedicated talent to advance its mission, and it firmly believes that inclusion through recruiting, hiring, developing, training, and promoting employees of all genders, races, religions, ages, national origins, political affiliations, ancestries, sexual orientations, disabilities, and veteran status, creates an atmosphere that enables it to lead with an entrepreneurial spirit and innovate with enterprise.
Working at ReFED
ReFED offers a competitive salary and benefits package, opportunities for professional development, and policies and programs that encourage a healthy work-life balance. ReFED’s U.S. benefits package includes:
- 100% employee and 50% dependent premium coverage for medical, dental, and vision benefits;
- Participation in employer-sponsored 401(k) plans with up to 4% employer matching;
- Professional development opportunities - including annual budget - and option to participate in ReFED’s mentor program;
- 18 paid vacation days;
- Paid sick and family leave;
- Approximately 12 paid company holidays annually - including closed offices the last week of the year;
- Short- and long-term disability coverage and term life insurance; and
- Flexible work environment with option to work from home or a co-working space.
Learn more about our values, team, and commitment to employees at https://refed.org/careers. Benefits for Canadian employees are available upon request.
All applications must be accompanied by a cover letter and résumé submitted in PDF format. Asch Harwood, VP Data & Insight Products is the Hiring Manager for this position. Cover letters must be responsive to the vision of ReFED and the needs of this position.
Applications must be received by March 6, 2022 to be considered.