Engineering Manager, Data Engineering (Remote Optional)
Engineering Manager, Data Engineering (Remote Optional)
At Warby Parker, we’ve proven that businesses can scale, be profitable, and do good in the world—and how much that relies on high-quality reporting—and now we’re searching for a motivated Engineering Manager for the Data Engineering team to help us continue our mission. In this role, you’ll play a key part (at a key time) by building, scaling, and maintaining our operational and analytical reporting processes and infrastructure. Your team’s efforts to collect, organize, and share data will impact nearly every employee and will be highly visible across the very data-hungry organization. Sound cool? Keep reading!
Your primary responsibility is to support the talented Data Engineers that make up your team and help them become successful. Day to day, you’ll help them grow in their career paths, mentor them as they create great integrations and data models, and help them stay engaged in their work at Warby Parker. You’ll advocate for excellent software development practices and instill these behaviors in your team and your peers. We’ll also count on you to cultivate a collaborative culture, ensure quality, and work with your team on strategy and execution.
Reporting to the Director of Data, you and your team will partner with Product Managers to execute reporting roadmaps that enable Warby Parker to meet its most important strategic objectives. This is a prominent role in which you’ll support internal stakeholders throughout the business.
Our ideal candidate is a great collaborator with the technical skills to own the evolution of our reporting systems and ensure the best experience for our stakeholders. If you're a motivated manager who takes your work seriously—but not yourself—you may be just what we're looking for. Read on!
What you’ll do:
- Lead and grow a team of Data Engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, sponsoring, giving feedback, and offering hands-on career development
- Work closely with Product Management to ensure the delivery of high-performing integrations, data models, and business intelligence tools to help analysts across the company answer critical questions
- Ensure timely delivery of reporting integration and data modeling work that addresses business needs and meets high standards of quality
- Roll up your sleeves when needed to stay grounded in the details of the team’s progress
- Ensure your team is informed, engaged, and excited about their work
Who you are:
- Backed by 10+ years of relevant work experience, some of which involves analyst-facing data systems
- Backed by 4+ years of Engineering Management experience, with direct management of at least 4 engineers
- Strong understanding of enterprise reporting, self-service reporting, dimensional data modeling, and developing reporting integrations in a cloud environment
- Driven by a desire to build and maintain strong relationships, help others in career development, and create inclusive environments
- Equipped with stellar interpersonal and communication skills in small and large groups
- Able to evaluate team performance objectively and rationally, and hold them accountable for meeting team goals
- Able to make tough decisions when needed and prioritize thoughtfully
- Able to work with multiple teams and communicate effectively with all kinds of roles
- Not on the Office of Inspector General’s List of Excluded Individuals/Entities (LEIE)
Extra credit (not required!):
- Experience working for a company that has a significant consumer-facing element, like retail or e-commerce
- Experience with dbt or other code-focused ELT tools
- Familiarity with developing transformations in BigQuery, Snowflake, Redshift, or other cloud-based data warehouse databases
- Experience with ERPs and other enterprise software systems
Some benefits and perks of working at Warby Parker:
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Flexible “My Time” vacation policy
- Retirement savings plan with a company match
- Parental leave (non-birthing parents included)
- Cell phone plan reimbursement
- Free eyewear, plus discounts for friends and family
- And more—just ask!
Warby Parker was founded with a mission: to inspire and impact the world with vision, purpose, and style.
We’re constantly asking ourselves how we can do more and make a greater impact—and that starts by reimagining everything that a company and industry can be. We want to demonstrate that a business can scale, be profitable, and do good in the world—without charging a premium for it. And we’ve learned that it takes creativity, empathy, and innovation to achieve that goal.
Since the day we launched in 2010, we’ve pioneered ideas, designed products, and developed technologies that help people see. We offer everything our customers need for happier eyes at a price that leaves them with money in their pockets, from designer-quality glasses and contacts to eye exams and vision tests.
Ultimately, we believe in vision for all, which is why for every pair of glasses or sunglasses we sell, a pair of glasses is distributed to someone in need through our Buy a Pair, Give a Pair program. Over eight million pairs of glasses have been distributed in over 50 countries; that means eight million people now have the glasses they need to learn, work, and achieve better economic outcomes.
At Warby Parker, you can look forward to company outings and events, volunteering and learning opportunities, and just great company filled with curious, kind folks. Dreaming up and sharing ideas aren’t responsibilities reserved for certain teams or leaders; the challenge (a really fun one) of innovation is on all of our shoulders. Teammates can also connect around common interests, backgrounds, and identities, no matter their home base, through our various employee resource groups. (We’re happy to say that the Human Rights Campaign has named us a Best Place to Work for LGBTQ+ employees!) That sense of community and belonging keeps us excited to walk through the door every day, wherever that door may be.
We're driven to continue building a workplace, based on inclusive behaviors and equitable systems, where all employees can bring their authentic selves, feel engaged, and share their perspectives as a valued member of Team Warby. Transparency is what we’re all about, and our annual Impact Report and Racial Equity Strategy lay out how we’re sticking to these values.